PIM Software Examples
As marketers, you want to get your products out there as much as possible. Maybe you’ll have a listing on your website and a few mobile apps. Everything is going well until you release New Amazing Product 2.0. Now you have to go to each website or app containing your product information and update it.
There’s got to be an easier way to do this, right? There is! It’s called Product Information Management (PIM).
What Is a PIM?
PIM stands for product information management. It’s an application companies use to store the information related to the products they sell. PIMs enable companies to store all of their product data and related digital assets in a centralized location.
Take a look at your phone, for example. It has all sorts of details associated with it. Some details are screen size, storage size, overall color, and camera specs. These are the details you looked at when you were considering buying a new phone. Or maybe you already had it in your hand when you looked at them.
Whatever those details are, they need to be stored somewhere.
What Is PIM Software?
Product information management software (sometimes called a PIM system or PIM solutions) is the actual software a company uses to store its product information in a single place. But PIMs can also do more than just store information.
Some PIMs can take product information and easily distribute it to the right channels. Instead of having to go to several different places to update product data, you can update it in one location.
Let’s suppose your company makes cosmetics. Your customers can’t get enough of the affordable and creamy lipsticks.
But then the inevitable happens. The key ingredients you use to make your classic red shade aren’t available from your normal supplier. You quickly find another that gives you the right materials you need. It’ll just raise the price of your classic red until supply issues calm down.
With a PIM you’ll be able to quickly update the price and any other details you need to. When prices return to normal you can easily update the price again.
Why Are PIMs Important?
PIMs are important for a few reasons.
- They keep all your information in one single place so you’ll spend less time searching for it.
- You can easily edit and update product information as it changes.
- Customers become familiar with your product through engaging digital marketing experiences.
- A PIM can be extremely beneficial for your marketing, product, sales, and customer support teams by allowing multiple users to collaborate on product information.
- PIMs can significantly decrease costs for your business by reducing the amount of time needed to update product information and reducing the cost to use this product information within multiple digital experiences.
Suppose you’ve launched a new manufacturing machine. It can help make your customer’s products faster than ever. In the past, you might have delivered that machine with a huge manual.
A PIM system removes the need for a printed manual. Customers can review all the information about your machine in the PIM. Anytime there’s user information you want to pass along, you can with an updated PIM.
What Are Examples of PIM Applications?
Below are some PIM applications to consider.
This PIM system can handle huge amounts of product data including thousands of SKUs. Like most PIMs on this list can keep data in one place and distribute it as well.
Cost: There are two price tiers. The Community version is free and open source. The Enterprise edition is an annual subscription. You’ll need to contact Akeneo directly for a price quote.
Plytix is more than just a PIM. It’s an omnichannel marketing system that has a digital asset management system (DAM) , brand portals, analytics, product sheets, and product data syndication. It also allows you to edit many products at once or individually.
Cost: It has a free version perfect for small businesses. Mid-size and enterprise businesses should consider paying for the Pro plan as it has features better tuned in to their needs.
This PIM has product information management, Master Data Management (MDM) and Digital Asset Management(DAM). It can also work with Google Analytics, is scalable, and can connect to:
Cost: Like Akeeno, there’s an open source free version and a paid Enterprise version.
This PIM can push product information to many different channels, including mobile phones. It also has a calendar to help plan out future product launches.
Cost: You’ll need to contact inRiver directly to get pricing information.
This PIM system can support many different languages and currencies. It can also manage workflows from production creation through sales.
Cost: There is no information on Riversand pricing. You’ll need to contact them directly.
Do you have a unique product that requires custom data fields? Do you want an interactive experience to make learning about your products easy and fun? Then Lumavate is the PIM for you.
Our PIM empowers your business to:
- Utilize Product Type to distinguish products from parts and accessories or product lines from different business units or brands.
- Create a product record for every single SKU you offer.
- Centralize the management of your product images, documents, videos, and more for each product record.
- Add custom attributes to Product Types to align with your business needs.
- Relate products to one another such as parts and accessories to drive increased revenue.
- Track changes to every product record by user.
- Enable multiple users within your business to update product data and related digital assets.
Additionally, Lumavate is a comprehensive digital experience platform (DXP) that allows you to use all of your product data stored in the PIM to create data-driven digital experiences. Using Lumavate, you can create exceptional product experiences for the following types of use cases:
- Product Packaging - Bring your products to life by incorporating QR codes or NFC tags on packaging that provide access to product information, videos, manuals, and more.
- Product Guides - Eliminate the need for a printed product guide that is typically outdated as soon as it's printed and provide customers with a digital version that is always up-to-date.
- Product Recommendations - Help customers find the best product for their needs through an interactive quiz.
- Product Information - Provide customers with easy access to product information with a scan of a QR code on your product and remove the need for printed materials.
- Product Comparison - Empower customers to easily compare multiple products so they can find and purchase the best option for their needs.
- In-aisle - Help your brand stand out in the aisle amongst competitors to drive more sales in-store.
- Maintenance Tracking - Enable customers to track product usage and send them maintenance recommendations based on usage.
- Product Registration - Increase your product registration rates and eliminate printing costs by digitizing the process for customers to submit their contact information.
- Warranty Registration - Capture more warranty registrations by making it easy for customers to submit their warranty registration and have it sent to your system of record.
- Product Onboarding - Deliver an exceptional first-time experience by providing customers with step-by-step instructions for using their new product.
- Product Launch - Amplify the results of your product launch with a digital experience that highlights the new product and provides exclusive content.
- Trade Shows - Connect your booth with an interactive element and provide visitors with content, videos, and more to take your products to the next level.
- Product Training - Train customers on how to properly use your products with step-by-step instructions, videos, operator's manuals, and troubleshooting tips.
- Sales Resources - Enable your sales team to quickly access and share relevant marketing resources with their customers.
See What a PIM System Do for You Today
Interested to see what Product Information Management can do for your business? Take a tour of our PIM or schedule a demo to see how Lumavate and elevate your brand.
- Product Information System Examples
- Top PIM
- Best PIM Software 2023
- Product Experience Software
- PXM Platform
- Product Experience Management Software
- Best PIM Software
- Product Experience Strategy
- Product Experience Examples
- Product Experience Meaning
- PIM Software Companies
- Product Information Management Software